What is Love Bites?
Love Bites is an extremely successful school based domestic and family violence, sexual assault and consent awareness education program targeted at both Years 7-9 (Love Bites Junior) and Years 10-11 (Love Bites Senior).
Delivered free of cost in local high schools in the Northern Rivers by trained facilitators, the respectful relationships program consists of interactive education workshops on Domestic and Family Violence, Respectful Relationships, Cyber Safety, Sexual Assault, and Consent Awareness followed by creative workshops that consolidate the information taught in the earlier sessions. Through these creative sessions, students have the opportunity to showcase their artistic talents while encapsulating the key messages of respectful and healthy relationships. Students are given opportunities to showcase their work in the local community.
What does Love Bites aim to achieve?
- To provide a safe environment in which young people can talk about Domestic and Family Violence and Sexual Assault.
- To promote and model respectful relationships for young people
- To raise awareness about Domestic and Family Violence and Sexual Assault – it’s prevalence and forms.
- To engage young people, male and female, on the issues of Domestic and Family Violence and Sexual Assault in a non-sex-segregated environment with male and female facilitators.
- To challenge gender stereotypes, attitudes, values and social institutions that perpetuate male violence against women.
- To deconstruct myths that exist in local communities and society generally on domestic and family violence and sexual assault.
- To encourage and educate young people to support their friends.
- To introduce young people to local support service providers in an informal environment.
For more information about Love Bites, or to schedule a session at your school, please contact Kyra our Project Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org
LOVE BITES YEAR 10 MURWILLUMBAH HIGH SCHOOL
Following the successful pilot delivery of Love Bites Respectful Relationships Education to Murwillumbah High School in Term 2, 2019, Wollumbin Family Support Inc. has delivered a subsequent successful senior program. This project was a part of WFSI prevention strategy to increase awareness of and reduce the incidence of domestic and family violence. Funding was secured by fundraising efforts and generous donations. The senior program was delivered in Term 3 2019 by qualified volunteer facilitators overseen by a project a leader. The project was formally evaluated before and after delivery with a vision to continue implementation in the future.